11.1.15

The biggest box and fish. Lots of fish.

Reading the articles online about warehouses gave me the impression that there were only 5 in Singapore. Um, nope. There are more, in fact.

I'm here to share about my trip to the newly opened Big Box and Jurong Fishery Port. I'll begin by saying that I'm a VERY happy girl today. *beams*


Big Box is located at Jurong East with a linkway from Jem. How convenient.
Unfortunately, Hadi and I only ventured around the first floor cos by the time we were done with our shopping, there were just too many things and we didn't bother exploring the other levels. Yet. 

Big Box is big.

Here are some pictures I took. (excuse the funny angles because I was trying my best not to look like a tourist while taking the shots.)


There is even a Garden and Home section IN the supermarket itself.

I like how every aisle caters to only 1-3 items. So there's a large variety of stuff there. I personally like the shampoo section.

This is the start of the frozen goods section. The entire row at the bottom right side of this picture is solely dried goods. I would have spent my time looking for individual herbs to make my bak kut teh, but I'll leave that for next time.

Here's the middle section of the dried goods.

My favourite - vegetables and fruits.

Here's the seafood section. Let's see, when I was there, there was a sale going on. 2 Black Tilapia for $5.90. Whuttttttt.

One particular buy that I was truly happy with was the Apple Cider Vinegar which was halal. Yes, it had the halal logo on.

Have you any idea how hard it is to find such things which are halal-certified?!

Anyway, when you're there, I suggest you comb each and every aisle to get the most out of the Big Box experience. 

OH, and just outside the hypermarket, sushi is going for 50cents per piece.

OKAY, that's that for Big Box.


Later on at 1am, we headed out again. This time, we went to the Jurong Fishery Port with our neighbour and her little one.

Once you reach the entrance, you need to exchange your IC for a temporary pass that will grant you access to seafood goodness.

Oh, I read somewhere that when you go there, you should expect to wade through ankle-deep fishy waters. But nope. 

The water wasn't ankle-deep. It was merely slipper-deep.

Here are other things to take note of:
The smell wasn't too bad simply because these are fresh catch.
You can't expect tip-top customer service either. People are pushing and pulling trolleys, ferrying their goods to their respective stalls. They will HONK at you to move. Not ask. Honk. Using their voices.
You can try a little bit of bargaining. Most of the time they won't entertain you. What I did was to ask for the price. Then I leave, make another round and ask a different guy when I got to the same stall. He gave me a cheaper price. :)
Ensure that you recce the entire place before deciding what to buy. You may find better deals as you walk along.
Don't wear shoes. Everywhere is really wet. EVERYWHERE.


Time to do some seafood stock-up.

Fish are "arranged" on the floor. 


Some may come in styrofoam boxes.

I saw some men cleaning and cutting the fish. Not all stalls will provide such services. You need to ask them.

Oh. My. God. Prawns as big as my entire palm. They're huge.

3.2kg of stingray that I shared with my neighbour. My chopping board is roughly the size of a 15-inch laptop. I had a hard time cutting this baby in half. They don't cut it for you.

Generally, the prices are cheaper than what you find in Sheng Siong or NTUC or even at your local wet markets.

If memory serves me well, the prices are as follows:
1kg of selar kuning for $6.50.
1kg of flower crab for $10.
1kg of squid for $10.
1kg of large tiger prawns for $24.
1kg of stingray for $8.

*The above prices vary from stall to stall.


Now my fridge is full. 
Happy girl is happy.

*Keep a lookout for their trolleys!

Much love,
Mwah mwah

*All pictures taken with my LG G3. Unedited.

No comments:

Post a Comment