14.12.14

Chicken with Purple Cabbage

Chicken with Purple Cabbage - served with chicken rice

Here's another cookbook adaptation. 

I wanted to make chicken rice for the ManUtd vs Liverpool match tonight, but I was bored of the usual roasted chicken I always made. So I looked through the recipe book that my girlfriends bought for my engagement gift 3 years ago and found Chicken with Red Cabbage. However, one of the main ingredients used was red wine.

So I improvised.

I used Season's Iced Apple Tea and Coca Cola to get that carbonated fruity taste that red wine is supposed to have (since it's made from grapes). It's slightly bitter too, maybe from the weird concoction.

So here goes.

Ingredients:
Whole chicken
3/4 of yellow onion (chopped)
1/4 of purple cabbage
Apple tea + coke (1/2 cup)
Black pepper
Butter (1/4 cup)
Herbs (I used thyme and basil, but up to you.)
Salt to taste
Tomatoes (Optional)

Method:
1. Heat butter in pan.
2. Stir-fry onions until slightly tender.
3. Add pepper, herbs and purple cabbage.
4. Pour in the apple tea + coke mix.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour the entire mixture over the chicken, making sure all parts of the chicken has made contact with it.
7. Throw in the tomatoes.
8. Pop it in the oven for 60 minutes at 220degrees.
9. Serve with rice.

For the chicken rice, I made a shortcut version. Much faster, hassle-free, but flavour is kinda compromised. Nonetheless, here's how I did it.

Blend onion, garlic and ginger into a paste.
Heat oil in pot.
Saute the paste until it is cooked or until the oil separates.
Add chicken stock (the ones I used come in cubes) and continue stirring.
Add water.
Add salt to taste. (Optional)
Pour this stock in rice, according to rice measurement. (Wash the rice first, please.)
Cook in rice cooker.

Done!

If you have different simple versions of cooking the chicken rice, let me know!



On a side note, ManUtd won. 3-0. Woop!

No comments:

Post a Comment