11.12.14

Cray(-cray)fish pasta

I'm going cray cray~

Hey ho hi-dy ho.

Yes I can't seem to sleep. And I'm still salivating over my crayfish pasta that I made for dinner just now.
If you guys want to try this, here's how I did it.

Ingredients:
CRAYFISH, DUH
Pasta of choice (I wanted to use linguine but NTUC ran out of it so I used spaghetti)
Garlic
Red chilli
Yellow onions
Olive oil
Lingham Chilli Sauce (if you don't know what this is, please go and buy it now. NOW. Best chilli sauce ever)
Basil
Italian herbs
Black pepper
Tomato paste (I used Hosen brand)
Tomatoes
Sugar
Lime juice
Coke (yes, Coca Colaaaaaaa)



Crayfish prep:
1. Clean and halve the crayfish lengthwise. 
2. Boil it for about 2-3 mins (when water is already boiling) to make sure the insides are cooked.

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
- 3 tbsp of olive oil (it might taste better if you substitute this with butter)
- Chopped garlic
- Diced yellow onions
- 2 tbsp of Lingham chilli sauce 
- Basil (mine comes in a bottle)
- Black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
**Really, make this mixture your own. You can add in whatever it is that you want. Since my pasta is tomato-based, I wanted to go for something spicy and plus, I'm a garlic lover. So yeah.

3. Remove crayfish from boiling pot, spoon the mixture on top of the crayfish meat and pop them in the oven for about 10mins at 180degrees to let the mixture seep in.

IN THE MEANTIME...

Pasta:
1. Heat olive oil in pan.
2. Saute diced yellow onions, chopped garlic and chopped red chilli.
3. Wait until the aroma comes up (or how the Malays put it - tunggu bau naik), then add one dollop (or one HUGE tablespoon) of tomato paste.
4. Add 2-3 tbsp of Lingham chilli sauce.
5. Add 1/4 cup of water.
6. Add 3 tbsp of coke.
7. Add tomatoes (that has been cut in eights). Here, let the whole thing come to a boil to reduce the tomatoes. You can squish them to make the juices come out.
8. Add 2 tbsp of lime juice.
9. Adjust the taste with sugar. No need for salt because the tomato paste is already pretty salty.
10. Spam the Italian herbs.
11. Add spaghetti (that has already been boiled in salt water beforehand), stir and serve with crayfish at the side.

VOILA.

I honestly don't know what the coke does to enhance the taste of the dish, but trust me, the pasta wouldn't taste as good without it. I've seen tons of cooking shows that included wine/beer in their dishes. So I thought I'd use the most popular carbonated drink I had at home. Maybe if the dish required the use of white wine, I could substitute it with Sprite? Why don't you give it a go and let me know. Maybe when I've tried it, I'll let you know too.

Hmm, maybe I should also include a list of non-halal ingredients with halal alternatives. Probably those that I've tried.

Stay tuned for more recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment